Outbreaks in Effect
(as of Wednesday, March 14, 2018 – 9:10 am)
- Tuberculosis – The Thunder Bay District Health Unit is managing an outbreak of four cases of tuberculosis in Thunder Bay. Most cases identified to date have occurred in individuals who lack adequate housing. The risk to the general public is extremely low, and the Thunder Bay District Health Unit is continuing to investigate. The Thunder Bay District Health Unit is identifying and will contact people who may have been exposed to tuberculosis. Additional cases may be identified during this process. Symptoms of tuberculosis include a new cough, coughing up bloody sputum, chest pain, swollen lymph nodes, weight loss, fever, and night sweats. If you or someone you know is experiencing these symptoms, seek medical care. For more questions please call an Infectious Diseases nurse at 625-5900.
Long-Term Care Outbreaks
- None at this time
All admissions, transfers, discharges and social activities will be canceled during an outbreak in the affected areas. Visitors are restricted to family members and caregivers only, so please call the facility for more information.
The Health Unit is urging people to refrain from visiting hospitals and long-term care facilities when feeling unwell to avoid spreading infections to those most vulnerable: young infants and children, the elderly and those with other chronic illnesses.
The Health Unit reminds the public they can prevent getting and spreading infections by:
- Getting a seasonal flu shot from the Health Unit or local health care provider.
- Washing hands often, for at least 15 seconds with soap and warm water, or by using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Covering coughs/sneezes with the upper sleeve if no tissue is available.
- Putting all used tissues in the garbage right away.
- Staying at home if sick to avoid spreading infections to others.
For Further Information
Call the Infectious Disease or Environmental Health Programs: (807) 625-5900
or toll-free 1-888-294-6630
Source: Thunder Bay District Health Unit Release
Citizen journalist born and raised in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I like pizza and reporting on concerning events that are in my home region, or that impact it. You can read more by clicking here.