The new Ontario PC campaign bus rolled in to a local restaurant in the east-end of Ottawa today where Doug Ford laid out his second of five priorities for the people of Ontario: Putting More Money in Your Pocket.
As part of this latest commitment, Ford said that if elected, the Ontario PCs will introduce a new tax credit that will eliminate income taxes for those on minimum wage. This means, that no matter where you work in Ontario if you are making minimum wage you won’t pay a single cent in income tax.
“We have a plan for the people of Ontario,” said Ford. “We’re going to clean-up Kathleen Wynne’s hydro mess and lower your taxes. And for folks making minimum wage, we’re going a step further. Under a PC government, if you are making minimum wage, you are going to pay no income tax at all.”
Throughout their 15 years in power, the Liberals have introduced multiple tax grabs and fee increases designed to take money out of the pockets of Ontario families, including: the so-called health tax; higher income taxes; eco-taxes; fee increases; skyrocketing hydro bills; the HST; and the cap and trade slush fund.”
“The Liberals continue to invent countless new ways to take your hard-earned money from you,” said Ford. “If you can think of it, they can tax it. And make no mistake, if Kathleen Wynne gets her way and clings to power, she will get right back to increasing your taxes once again.”
Ford stated that Ontario voters will hear more in the days and weeks ahead about additional measures that will put more money their pockets.“It’s time to turn the page on Kathleen Wynne’s tax grabs and deliver real change that works for you,” concluded Ford.
“That’s our plan for Ontario. That’s our plan to put more money in your pocket. It’s all part of our plan for the people.”
Backgrounder: More Money in Your Pocket of People Making Minimum Wage
The Liberal Record
- Since 2005, Ontario’s median income grew at 3.8% – the slowest of any province or territory in Canada. Simply, Ontarians are working harder to make ends meet, but they are not seeing the results.
- Not only are incomes stagnating, hydro bills are increasing annually, with hydro rates tripling since the Liberals took power in 2003 – costing the average family more than $1,000 extra a year.
- Kathleen Wynne and the Liberals have ignored these facts and instead actually raised income taxes in their latest budget.
- This tax increase is consistent with their track record of making life more expensive. Since 2014, Kathleen Wynne has:
- Raised income taxes
- Introduced the cap-and-trade carbon tax
- Raised the employer health tax on small businesses
- Raised taxes on beer and wine
- Increased fees for hunting, camping and fishing
- Increased fees on driver’s licenses and vehicle registration
- Increased the aviation fuel tax
- Even considered introducing road tolls
- For Kathleen Wynne, Ontario families are an endless revenue source – a government piggy bank. There is no respect for taxpayer’s money.
- Wynne raised the minimum wage not to help people make ends meet, but rather to put more money in the government’s coffers to help reward well connected Liberal insiders and friends.
- It’s time to put more money in the pockets of hard-working Ontarians instead, not government insiders.
Putting More Money in the Pocket of Workers Making Minimum Wage
- Doug Ford and the Ontario PC Party will create a minimum wage tax credit so that those on minimum wage pay no income tax.
- This tax credit will apply to both full and part-time workers as well as those on the youth or serves minimum wage.
- It will cost the provincial government approximately $500 million annually and be fully implemented by January 1st, 2019.
- For the roughly 623,000 Ontarians on minimum wage, this is needed tax relief. If a minimum wage employee worked full time for 50 weeks a year, they would earn roughly $28,000 a year.
- After the basic personal income is accounted for, a full-time minimum wage earner would owe roughly $817 in income taxes. In a Doug Ford government, this worker would receive a tax credit for the full amount – saving them more than $800 a year.
- This is one of several measures contained in the Ontario PC Plan For the People that will put more money in your pocket.
Source: Ontario PC Party Media Release