ELANNA MARKI SENTENCED TO TIME SERVED PLUS 3 YEARS PROBATION FOR VIOLENT ASSAULT.
SHE IS THE 44-YEAR-OLD SISTER OF ALLEGED DOUBLE MURDERER BENJAMIN MARKI. SHE NOW HAS 24 CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS ON HER RECORD.
CRIMESTOPPERS TIP SUGGESTED ELANNA MARKI DID THE DOUBLE HOMICIDE OF WILFRED POTT AND ANNE CHUCHMUCH BUT SHE WAS IN VANIER CORRECTIONAL CENTER ON DECEMBER 27,2015.
Two of three aboriginal women who slashed, burned and beat a hostage so bad she lost control of her bowels were sentenced Thursday, February 18, 2016, to one more day in jail.
Alison Bray, 37, Elanna Marki, 42, and June Wilson, 38, “perceived a betrayal by Aimee Raycraft and went over the top in dealing out street justice,” Crown attorney Bev Olesko said.
Their crack-fuelled abuse that began on Dec. 21, 2013, lasted more than 24 hours. Olesko wanted the trio jailed for five years apiece, but Judge Faye McWatt gave Marki and Wilson a day in jail on top of roughly three years’ credit for time already served, plus three years of probation.
McWatt sentenced ringleader Bray to two years in prison. She received basically the same sentence as her accomplices, but she’d been free on bail and only spent three months in pretrial custody.
The judge said the trio demonstrated remorse by pleading guilty to the five offences, including assault with a weapon and unlawful confinement.
They’ve also shown progress battling their addictions and connecting with their Native roots, McWatt said.
Raycraft’s tale of terror began when she and boyfriend Everton Matthews were smoking crack at their Scarborough apartment with Bray and her boyfriend, John Brown.
Brown propositioned Raycraft. She rejected his offer at first but accepted after a fight with Matthews.
Brown brought Raycraft back to his place and they smoked crack together. They didn’t have sex because Brown passed out. Raycraft, 35, stole some of Brown’s crack, jewelry and $80 while he slept.
A few days later, Brown, Bray, Wilson and Marki showed up at Raycraft’s home and woke her up to confront her about the stolen goods.
Bray was infuriated because she wrongly believed Raycraft had messed around with Brown.
The women punched, kicked and thrashed Raycraft with a metal flashlight/baton.
The day of horrific abuse ended when her captors stopped by the Scarborough Bluffs and searched for duct tape.
Raycraft was convinced they were going to kill her, Olesko said, so she jumped out of the moving vehicle and ran topless in the bitter cold to the car of a Good Samaritan, who drove her to a hospital.
THE DAY OF TORTURE
Aimee Raycraft suffered horrific abuse at the hands of her three captors:
* They punched, kicked and thrashed her with a metal flashlight/baton.
* They slashed her hair and fingers with a box cutter and seared her upper arms with a hair-straightening iron.
* They stepped on her fingers.
* The attackers took frequent breaks to smoke crack and drink with Alison Bray’s boyfriend, John Brown; Raycraft’s lover, Everton Matthews; and another man.
* Bray struck Raycraft so hard she “lost control of her bowels,” court heard, then Bray told her that’s a sign she’s going to die.
* Raycraft felt she had no choice but to go with her attackers to Elanna Marki’s home. She lay on blankets so her blood wouldn’t stain the couch.
* She was given food and water while her captors kept smoking crack.
* When they took Raycraft with them for a drive and stopped at the Scarborough Bluffs to search for duct tape, she was convinced they were going to kill her.
* She jumped out of the vehicle topless — on a cold December day — and ran for her life.
* Raycraft suffered bruises to her eyes, legs, arms and head, and four-inch burn streaks on her arms.
PREVIOUS CRIMINAL RECORDS
* Elanna Marki and June Wilson have lengthy criminal records, including convictions as recent as 2012 and 2013.
* Bray’s record isn’t as long (six convictions) and she hadn’t been in trouble since 2008. The gap helped her receive bail.
* Marki had 19 previous convictions, including robbery, impaired driving and two for drug possession.
* Wilson had 17 prior convictions, including robbery, assault with intent, resisting arrest, forcible entry, assaulting a peace officer, two counts of drunk driving and driving while disqualified.
Aimee Raycraft – Victim of Elanna Marki
Team of citizen journalists with over 30 years experience observing court cases.
Check out our Facebook page by clicking here.