(KENORA, ON) – Members of the Kenora Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Crime Unit are currently investigating the theft of police property from a marked cruiser parked at Lake of the Woods District Hospital in the City of Kenora which occurred the evening of April 26, 2018.
The investigation determined that a male gained entry to a police cruiser and stole a police rifle. The rifle was discharged; there are no reports of damage or injuries. The male was located and arrested by police.
Naiche KEESIC, 27-years-old from Kenora, Ontario has been charged with the following Criminal Code offences:
- Theft Under $5,000 contrary to section 334(b)
- Firearm – Use While Committing Offence contrary to section 85(1)(a)
- Fail to Comply with Probation Order contrary to section 733.1(1) – 3 counts
- Mischief Under $5000 contrary to section 430(4)
- Careless Use of Firearm contrary to section 86(1)
- Possession of Weapon for Dangerous Purpose contrary to section 88
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm contrary to section 91(1)
- Possession of a Firearm, Prohibited or Restricted Weapon Obtained by Crime contrary to section 96(a)
- Possession of Loaded Prohibited or Restricted Firearm contrary to section 95(a)
- Break and Enter a Motor Vehicle and Steal a Firearm contrary to section 98(1)
- Possession of Firearm or Ammunition contrary to Prohibition Order contrary to section 117.01(1)
The accused is being held in custody pending a bail hearing at the Ontario Court of Justice in Kenora on April 27, 2018.
Anyone with information regarding this investigation should immediately contact the Kenora OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or (807) 548-5534. Should you wish to remain anonymous, you may call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) where you may be eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $2,000.
Citizen journalist born and raised in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I like pizza and reporting on concerning events that are in my home region, or that impact it. You can read more by clicking here.