(THUNDER BAY, ON) – A laundry room scorcher forced about 12 people into the street today.
Residents in an apartment building in the 1900 block of West Frederica were hanging around outside while Thunder Bay Fire Rescue’s firefighters tackled a hot scenario in the laundry room facility.
A dryer caught on fire and was initially put out by residents who then called 911 to get firefighters on scene to ensure the flames had not creeped into the wall.
The basement was filled with smoke, which firefighters had to ventilate. A “second alarm” was sounded, which means firefighters called for backup to assist the scenario, but was called off quickly as the situation was handled quickly.
The fire was caused by lint buildup in the dryer. Thunder Bay Fire Rescue wants to remind everyone to clean out their dryer lint, to prevent this from happening to you.
Damage was limited, and only a scorched area of the wall near the dryer was impacted.
Stay REAL Concerned Citizens.