(FORT FRANCES, ON) – Appearing by telephone from the Fort Frances Ontario Provincial Police Detachments in courtroom 104 for bail this morning is 22-year-old, John Gilbert Perrault. Presiding is Her Worship, Justice of the Peace Anna Gibbon, with federal crown attorney Alec Hardiejowski, provincial crown attorney Adriana Nigro, and duty counsel Lianne Roberge.
Perrault is quiet and short with his responses, he doesn’t seem attentive or at least taking a bit to think before responding.
Perrault is charged with:
- Possess of a controlled substance (crystal meth)
- Obstruct Police by giving a false name
- Failure to comply with bail conditions: do not possess drugs or intoxicating substances without a prescription
Perrault was already going through court on previous charges, those charges are:
- Identify fraud
- Possession of property obtained by crime under $5000
- Failure to comply with bail conditions: curfew
- Failure to attend court x2
- Possession of a controlled substance
The federal crown attorney states this is a reverse onus situation, meaning that the accused needs to show why they should be released. The crown elaborates by pointing to Perrault’s 4 failure to comply with bail conditions, a failure to appear, and a very extensive criminal record.
The provincial crown agrees with the federal crown, that Perreault should not be released.
Perrault is remanded into custody on consent for a May 22nd,2018 court appearance in Fort Frances.