(ONTARIO) – The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) would like to remind the public that a vehicle with an unlocked door or an open window is an easy target.
Protect yourself and always roll up your vehicle’s window, lock the doors and pocket the keys when you park your car. Park in a well-lit area and never leave valuables in plain view.
A professional can steal your vehicle in just 30 seconds-without a key. Protect your vehicle from theft with a few simple precautions.
- Always roll up your vehicle’s windows, lock the doors and pocket the key.
- Never leave your vehicle running unattended while it is running.
- If you have a garage, use it and lock the door as well as your vehicle.
- Never leave your car keys in plain view or in an accessible area.
- Keep your vehicle registration certificate and proof of insurance on you at all times. Don’t leave these documents in your glove compartment.
- Always park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
- Never leave valuable objects or packages in full view. Put them in the trunk.
- Give only your ignition key to a parking attendant. Keep all other keys with you.
Call OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or your local police service if you see vehicles or vehicle-related activities that look suspicious.
Source: OPP Media Release
Citizen journalist born and raised in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I like pizza and reporting on concerning events that are in my home region, or that impact it. You can read more by clicking here.