(THUNDER BAY, ONT) – Officials at the Health Unit and Hogarth Riverview Manor located at 300 Lillie Street North have declared an outbreak of a respiratory illness on the Rose (6 North) and Tulip (6 South) Resident Home Areas.
All admissions, transfers, discharges and social activities have been canceled until further notice.
Visitors are restricted to family members and caregivers only, so please call the facility for more information.
The Health Unit is urging people to refrain from visiting hospitals and long-term care facilities when feeling unwell to avoid spreading infections to those most vulnerable: young infants and children, the elderly and those with other chronic illnesses.
The Health Unit reminds the public that they can prevent getting and spreading infections by:
- Getting a seasonal flu shot from the Health Unit or local health care provider.
- Washing hands often, for at least 15 seconds with soap and warm water, or by using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Covering coughs/sneezes with the upper sleeve if no tissue is available.
- Putting all used tissues in the garbage right away.
- Staying at home if sick to avoid spreading infections to others.
Source: Thunder Bay District Health Unit Media Release