(MARATHON, ON) – Appearing in courtroom 104 this morning via video from the Marathon Ontario Provincial Police detachment is 20-year-old Laurance Buset LeDuke and 27-year-old Dujorn Antonio Casanova.
His Worship, Justice of the Peace Bruce Leaman is presiding along with Crown Attorney Andrea Mason, and duty counsel lawyer Andrew Stewart.
The pair of accused were arrested in the Township of Pic and charged with the following:
- Possession of a loaded prohibited firearm (32 caliber semi automatic
- Possession of a firearm with readily available ammunition
- Occupying a vehicle while knowing there was a firearm inside
- Proceeds of crime under $5000 ($2200)
Casanova was also charged with:
- Breach of bail conditions (not to possess a firearm)
- Breach of bail conditions (not to possess ammo)
The Crown tells the court that the two are residents of Montreal, Quebec, and that she has primary ground concerns regarding the release of the two accused.
Further, the Crown indicates that the two also have a North York, Ontario address.
Due to the nature of the firearms offences, the Crown is not consenting to their release and requests the matter remanded to show cause as to why they should be detained.
His Worship, Justice of the Peace Leaman orders them remanded into custody, and orders them not to contact each other at the crowns request.
The two are sent back to their cells to await prisoner transport to the Thunder Bay District Jail, where they will await their next court date.