(WINNIPEG, MB) – On August 6, 2018, members of the Winnipeg Police Counter Exploitation Unit (CEU) entered into an investigation regarding the sexual exploitation of an adult female.
She had been held captive and forced to work as an escort. The incident came to light when the victim was able to get to a district police station for help.
The victim disclosed she had been forced to travel to Winnipeg from southern Ontario under threats of violence. She was admitted to hospital having endured severe assaults over an extended period of time.
The assaults included electric shocks and the victim being forcibly confined in a freezer on numerous occasions.
On September 2, 2018, officers from the Tactical Support Team arrested a suspect in the 500 block of Maryland St.
Andres Michael PAVAO, 29, of Winnipeg, has been charged with:
- Trafficking in Persons
- Aggravated Assault
- Procurring Person to Provide Sexual Services
- Forcible Confinement x 2
- Uttering Threats to Cause Death or Bodily Harm
- Overcome Resistance by Attempting to Choke or Suffocate x 2
- Assault with a Weapon x 2
- Advertising Sexual Services
- Material Benefit from Sexual Services
Pavao was detained in custody.