(KENORA, ON) – On Friday September 14, 2018 at approximately 1:19 p.m., members of the Kenora Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) assisted the Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services (MCSCS) at a jail in Kenora with a hostage situation.
As a result of the investigation by the Kenora OPP Crime Unit seven men have been arrested.
- Patrick KANATE, 27-years-old, of North Caribou Lake First Nation (FN), Ontario
- Waylon MORTON, 35-years-old of Dryden, Ontario
- Ryan NICKEL, 31-years-old, of Dryden, Ontario
- Travis POLKINGHORNE, 27-years-old, of Wabigoon, Ontario
- Joshua PITCHENESE, 27-years-old, of Wabigoon Lake FN, Ontario
- Garnet SUMNER, 30-years-old, of Peguis F/N, Manitoba
- Drayson WASWA, 19-years-old, of Sioux Lookout, Ontario
They are charged with the following Criminal Code offences:
- Hostage Taking, section 279.1(2)(b);
- Assault a Peace Officer with a Weapon, section 270.01(1)(a) (12 counts);
- Disarming a Peace Officer section 270.1(1);
- Unauthorized Possession of a Weapon section 91(2);
- Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose section 88;
- Possession of a Firearm, Prohibited or Restricted Weapon Obtained by Crime section 96(a); and with
- Uttering Threats-Cause Death or Bodily Harm section 264.1(1)(a).
All accused have been scheduled to attend the Ontario Court of Justice in Kenora at a later date.
You can read our initial coverage of the hostage situation below:
(KENORA, ON) - A few Kenora residents have reached out to TRCCTB.COM to inform us of a serious event unfolding at the Kenora District Jail.…