(FORT FRANCES, ON) – On October 9, 2018 at approximately 8:02 PM, while conducting patrol on Portage Avenue in Fort Frances, members of the Rainy River District Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) observed a motorcycle being driven with no lights and no licence plate.
Officers activated their emergency lights, but the motorcycle driver refused to stop.
The driver soon lost control of the bike while trying to navigate a turn onto another street, and got off of the bike and began fleeing from officers on foot.
The male was apprehended by officers and identified as Matthew GALUSHA, 22 years of age, of Fort Frances. He has been charged with the following offences:
- Fail to Comply with Recognizance contrary to section 145(3) of the Criminal Code,
- Driving While Under Suspension contrary to section 53(1) of the Highway Traffic Act of Ontario,
- Drive Motor Vehicle, No Permit contrary to section 7(1)(a) of the Highway Traffic Act of Ontario,
- Drive without Proper Headlight – Motorcycle, contrary to section 62(2) of the Highway Traffic Act of Ontario,
- Drive Without Prop er Rear Light – Motorcycle contrary to section 62(2) of the Highway Traffic Act of Ontario,
- Operate a Motor Vehicle without Insurance contrary to section 2(1)(a) of the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act.
The accused was held in custody pending a bail hearing at the Fort Frances Ontario Court of Justice on October 15, 2018.
Citizen journalist born and raised in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I like pizza and reporting on concerning events that are in my home region, or that impact it. You can read more by clicking here.