(WINNIPEG, MB) – On November 13th, 2018, at approximately 1:00 a.m., an East District Community Support unit was travelling on Portage Avenue at Edmonton Street when they observed a male driving while holding a cell-phone with both hands and taking what appeared to be a picture of himself (selfie).
A traffic stop was conducted in the 300 block of Portage Avenue and officers observed a bag of what they believed to be methamphetamine inside the vehicle.
The driver was placed under arrest and a search of the vehicle resulted in the seizure of a number of items including the following:
- 16.5 ounces of methamphetamine (estimated street value of $16,000)
- 23.3 ounces of cocaine (estimated street value of $46,000)
- 3 grams of heroin (estimated street value of $1,500)
- 13.9 ounces of a cutting agent
- 229 Xanax pills (estimated street value of $900)
- $2,285 in Canadian currency
- 2 mobile phones
- Digital scale
Randy Billy Bastien, a 38-year-old male of Winnipeg, MB, but raised in Marathon, ON, has been charged with:
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Methamphetamine
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Cocaine
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Heroin
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Alprazolam
- Possession of Proceeds of Property Obtained by Crime Under $5000
He was remanded into custody.
We have heard from a very reliable source that these drugs were most likely headed for Thunder Bay to be sold on the streets, adding to the already out of control illicit drug market. #knownties
The vehicle, a Mazda 3 was rented from a Thunder Bay business.
“Gotta deliver these drugs, but first, let me take a #SELFIE”
Citizen journalist born and raised in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I like pizza and reporting on concerning events that are in my home region, or that impact it. You can read more by clicking here.