(CANADA) – Members of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Criminal Investigation Branch (CIB) along with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) along with numerous local policing agencies across Canada and the United States are investigating multiple bomb threats across the continent.
The threats were sent via email, targeting businesses and institutions, demanding a payment in bitcoins. The bomb threats are currently believed to be a hoax. The OPP released a statement saying the threats appeared to be unfounded. The threats so far appear not to be credible and seem to be meant to cause disruption and prompt people to send money out of fear.
These incidents have been reported throughout North America. Numerous Canadian cities such as Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Winnipeg and Timmins were involved in the threats. The public is encouraged to report any suspicious activity that could be a risk to public safety.
The Thunder Bay Police Service also worked on a location in town regarding a bomb threat, which has been deemed as a false alarm. Also in the region, Kenora OPP report that they too had a bomb threat that was also unsubstantiated.
The Calgary Police Service and Winnipeg Police Service have publicly stated that the threats they have recieved were “Hoaxes” or that none of them were substantiated.
Five separate bomb threats were recieved at five businesses in Montreal via email. Police have reported that none of the threats ended up being substantiated.
Kamloops, Vernon and Penticton all had a bomb threat each sent to them. All of which were sent to car dealerships. They have been evacuated while police investigate.
Saskatchewan was dealing with several bomb threats in Regina and Saskatoon. Four bomb threats had been recieved to businesses in Regina through email. Both cities police have said the threats appear to be false.
In Toronto, a subway station downtown was evacuated after a threat was recieved Thursday afternoon. A few hours later train service was restored and passengers were on their way.
The threats sent via email have been said to be consistent with the Nigerian prince email scam, sporting broken choppy english.
Detective Staff Sergeant Bryan Gast of CIB is coordinating the OPP’s investigation into this matter.