(SABLES-SPANISH RIVERS TWP, ON) – On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at approximately 4:00 a.m., officers from the Manitoulin-Espanola Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a domestic dispute at a residence in Sables-Spanish Rivers Township, Ontario.
The OPP utilized numerous resources in an attempt to facilitate a peaceful surrender of the male. Units on the scene included the Emergency Response Team (ERT), Tactics and Rescue Unit (TRU), OPP uniformed members, an OPP Crisis Negotiator, OPP Critical Incident Command (CIC), the Sudbury-Manitoulin OPP Crime Unit, and the Sudbury Emergency Medical Services (EMS).
As a result of the investigation, a 21 year old male from Sables-Spanish Rivers Township, Ontario has been charged with:
- Assault With a Weapon contrary to section 267(1) of the Criminal Code (CC);
- Careless Use of a Firearm contrary to section 86(1) of the CC;
- Possession of a Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to a Prohibition Order contrary to section 117.01(1) of the CC;
- Possession of a Weapon for Dangerous Purpose contrary to section 88 of the CC; and with
- Killing, Injuring or Endangering Animals Other than Cattle contrary to section 445(1)(a) of the CC.
The accused is scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice Bail Court in Sudbury, Ontario on July 26, 2018.
The OPP will not be releasing the name of the accused in order to protect the identity of the victim.
Source: OPP Media Release
Citizen journalist born and raised in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I like pizza and reporting on concerning events that are in my home region, or that impact it. You can read more by clicking here.