(BLIND RIVER, ON) – On August 30, 2018, at approximately 9:30 pm members of the East Algoma Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) attempted to stop a vehicle travelling at a high rate of speed on Highway 17 in Serpent River, Ontario.
The vehicle failed to stop for police and was later located parked on the side of the highway. The driver had fled on foot.
There were unauthorized plates and validation on the vehicle and a shotgun in the trunk. The vehicle was subsequently towed and impounded.
Approximately one hour later, a caller reported to police that they received a call from the driver of the vehicle stating he was involved in the occurrence.
The OPP’s Canine Unit and Emergency Response Team (ERT) members later located the male driver uninjured.
Clinton WITHERS, 36 years of age, of Sables-Spanish Rivers Township, Ontario, was charged with:
- Dangerous Operation of Motor Vehicle, contrary to section 249(1)(a) of the Criminal Code (CC),
- Drive while Disqualified – court order (three counts), contrary to section 259(4) of the CC,
- Fail to comply with Recognizance, contrary to section 145(3) of the CC,
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm, contrary to section 91(1) of the CC,
- Possession of Firearm or Ammunition contrary to Prohibition Order, contrary to section 117.01(1) of the CC,
- Possession of property obtained by crime over $5000, contrary to section 354(1)(a) of the CC,
- Fail to stop for Police (Pursuit), contrary to section 216 of the Highway Traffic Act (HTA),
- Driving while under suspension, contrary to section 53(1) of the HTA,
- Use plate not authorized for vehicle, contrary to section 12(1)(d) of the HTA,
- Use validation not furnished for vehicle, contrary to section 12(1)(e) of the HTA, and
- Speeding 1 – 49 Km/h over posted limit, contrary to section 128 of the HTA.
The accused is scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice in Blind River Ontario on October 4, 2018.
Source: OPP Media Release
Anyone with pictures of Withers is asked to email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Citizen journalist born and raised in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I like pizza and reporting on concerning events that are in my home region, or that impact it. You can read more by clicking here.