Appearing by telephone from Thunder Bay Hospital this morning, Monday, March 19, 2018, at 10 am is 28-year old JYLES LABOEUF. With a J, we have confirmed, after initial court documents had the spelling with a G.


Justice of the Peace Marcel Donio is behind the bench, Crown Attorney Mary Ann Mackett is present along with Defence lawyer Kate Brindley

Thunder Bay Fire Rescue crews responded to a residential structure at 9 p.m. at 155 Banning Street Sunday night.

The first arriving crew witnessed fire coming out the main front window.

A second alarm was initiated and an attack line was used to knock down the fire from the exterior of the building, followed by an interior attack which brought the fire under control.


Three dogs died in the fire.

The structure was heavily damaged as the main floor living room was gutted with fire extension into the basement area underneath the fire room.

Laboeuf has been โ€œformedโ€ under the Mental Health Act. Heโ€™s being currently guarded by Officer Gilbert with the Thunder Bay Police.

Heโ€™s facing 7 charges in total.
3 counts of CC Section 445.1(a) causing intentional suffering of dog by heat and smoke inhalation.
4 counts of CC Section 433(a) intentionally or recklessly causing damage by fire.

Laboeuf is refusing to say when his date of birth is and is apparently not cooperating in the police investigation.

Crown Attorney Mackett does not want him released from custody.


Heโ€™ll make another appearance by phone or video in courtroom 104 tomorrow at 12:45pm.


From The Desk of Thunder Bay Courthouse โ€“ Inside Edition

You can read the story along with pictures and videos of the fire by clicking here.

Correction: An Earlier version of this article had Jyles spelt with a G.

***UPDATE Police Media Release @ 12:45pm March 19th


Arson Investigation โ€“ Media Release


Police were called on March 18, 2018 to assist with a male that was acting irrationally at a Banning Street residence. Within minutes, the call was upgraded to a fire rescue incident.

On arrival Officers observed the house to be fully engulfed and assisted in evacuating and accounting for the tenants of the building as well as evacuating the neighbouring houses.

The 28 year old male suspect was located a short time later on Bay Street.

He was apprehended under the Mental Health Act without incident by officers and transported to the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Center where he remains in police custody. He has been charged with arson related offences and killing an animal.


He appeared in court and has been remanded.

The scene is being held by police. This investigation is ongoing.