(THUNDER BAY, ON) – On Tuesday, April 16, 2018 at approximately 12:56 a.m., an officer from the Thunder Bay Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) was on patrol on John Street Road when the officer observed an erratic driver.
The officer activated the emergency lights of the police vehicle in an attempt to conduct a traffic stop but the driver fled from the officer. Shortly thereafter, the driver proceeded to pull over to the side of the road.
While speaking to the driver, the officer determined that the driver had been consuming alcohol. The driver was arrested and further tests were conducted.
David AHONEN, 24 years of age, from Fowler Township, was arrested and charged with:
- Operate a Motor Vehicle While Impaired – Blood Alcohol Concentration Over 80 mgs of Alcohol contrary to section 320.14(1)(b) of the Criminal Code.
- Flight from Police contrary to section 320.17 of the Criminal Code.
- Novice Driver – Blood Alcohol Concentration above Zero contrary to section 44.1(3) of the Highway Traffic Act.
- Race a Motor Vehicle – Excessive Speed contrary to section 172(1) of the Highway Traffic Act.
- Drive a Motor Vehicle with Open Container of Liquor contrary to section 32(1) of the Liquor Licence Act.
He is to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice in Thunder Bay on May 28, 2019 to answer to the charges.
Citizen journalist born and raised in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I like pizza and reporting on concerning events that are in my home region, or that impact it. You can read more by clicking here.